Minnie and Earl Baker purchased the property now known as the Laurels subdivision in 1914. With the help of some cowboys, they drove their herd of 6 dairy cows from Seattle to the farm. They sold dairy products from what they lovingly called the Elm Gate Farm. They also had a large poultry business raising S.C. White Leghorns. Their son, Ed, had the job of mixing up a complex chicken meal recipe to feed the flock.