There are many families who make up the history of Sammamish. We have had a myriad of backgrounds and individuals who make up what we see today.
Jacob Reard, who built his farmhouse and barn in 1895, was a successful farmer who later moved to Eastern Washington. The Reard farm went through several owners, including Olaf Skogman, a Swedish immigrant who created a gathering place for the community, including a large room on the second floor used for dances. In 1928, Oscar and Dorothy Freed acquired the property, commuting from Seattle where they ran the Rainier Valley Food Store. By the early 1930s, the Freeds moved to the farm, which had a whiskey still and a few cattle on it. They built a chicken house and operated the Mountain View Poultry Farm. They also raised Hereford cattle.